The Butler University Libraries use the Library of Congress classification system. Dance materials generally fall within the range of GV 1580 - GV 1799. Within that range, some of the useful subdivisions for Theory & Philosophy of Dance are:
- GV 1585 - Dictionaries, encyclopedias
- GV 1588 - Philosophy (and theory)
- GV 1589- Study and teaching
- GV 1590-GV 1594 - General works
- GV 1595 - Special aspects of the subject as a whole
- GV 1597 - Dancing as a profession
- GV 1600 - Dance criticism, appreciation
- GV 1645-GV 1728 - Dance history (and historical dance)
- GV 1743 - National dances. Folk dances and dancing (General)
- GV 1746-GV 1771 - Social dancing. Ballroom dancing
- GV 1781-GV 1795 - Theatrical dancing (Biography: GV 1785)
- GV 1796 - Special dances.
- M 1450 - Dance music
If you are looking for specific locations of books you may check Butler’s online catalog, available from the libraries' web page at: http://www.butler.edu/library.