Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Media and Copyright
- In addition to text, images and other media that you find on the web are considered to be published and are subject to copyright protection unless they are in the public domain.
- Although there are some exceptions, you need to ask permission to use items protected by copyright. Exceptions include fair use and classroom use. For more information, please see the Fair Use page on the Copyright LibGuide.
- To save yourself the trouble of either asking for permission or needing to determine if your use of a copyright protected item is allowed, you can either use items that are in the public domain or that have a license that is less restrictive than copyright, such as a Creative Commons license.
- All items should be accompanied by attributions if they are copyright protected or if the license specifies that attribution is needed.
- The media repositories listed on this page provide options for public domain and/or Creative Commons licensed items.
For more information, please see the Find Images & Media LibGuide.
Recommended Media Repositories
Creative Commons Search
Portal for searching various sites for Creative Commons images, audio, video, and other media. Select a site to begin your search; your currently selected site will be highlighted in light blue.
Free Music Archive
Original music from independent artists that is free to access and download
High quality stock photos which can be used, with no attribution, for personal or commercial purposes
Huge variety of public domain images. Warning: the first row of images in any search are sponsored results from Shutterstock and are not in the public domain.
Contains images that can be freely downloaded and used for commercial as well as non-commercial uses
Large collection of public domain and Creative Commons images, sounds, maps, and other media.