Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Tutorials for STR324
Tutorials for STR 324 Research
The following tutorials teach you how to use GuideStar and search for trade and research-based articles for your STR 324 nonprofit research project.
Local Non-Profit Research
Step-by Step Instructions for locating information on your non-profit organization (for Indiana organizations):
The following resources are all linked below:
- Search GuideStar. Not all non-profits are included, but it is a must to start with.
- Search the indexed version of the Indianapolis Star, the eEdition, and the free IndyStar website. All three platforms may lead you to different content.
- Search the Indianapolis Business Journal via ABI/INFORM and the free online version. Again, different content may be found in both.
- Perform an Advanced Google Search on your organization and limit it to the "PDF" format. Many annual reports, program reviews, and grant applications will be on the web in this format.
- For organizations outside of the Indiana area, consult NexisUni, local newspaper websites, and the PDF google search noted above.
Contains detailed information for non-profit organizations, including revenue and expense data, contact information, and annual reports
If your nonprofit is registered with GuideStar, you can potentially find:
- Offices/Headquarters location
- The organization's mission
- Key programs and services of the organization
- Target audiences of the organization
- How the organization is structured in terms of employees,
- Financials of the organization
GuideStar automatically creates a Nonprofit Profile for 501(c) organizations registered with the IRS. The data GuideStar provides comes from the IRS Business Master File IRS Forms 990/990EZ/990PF, and from the nonprofits themselves.
Nonprofits can add details about their organization beyond what is provided in their 990 IRS filings; therefore, some organizations will have more detailed information about mission, programs, and services than others.
with the nonprofit information you need.
IndyStar Newspaper Sources
Indianapolis Business Journal
You can limit a by "Publication" in this index to find articles in the Indianapolis Business Journal.
Advanced Google Search
Limit your search by organization name and publication type: PDFto locate annual reports, grant applications, program reviews.
Nexis Uni provides access to the full text of hundreds of major business and legal journals, magazines, and U.S. and international newspapers. Company financial, country, tax, medical, federal and state legal information, and accounting information can also be accessed.
Trade and Research Articles